HandsOn Shanghai (HOS) was founded in 2004 by a group of young professionals. With previous experience with the HandsOn / Cares worldwide network, they established an affiliate organization in Shanghai. We believe people can make a difference and HandsOn Shanghai can empower them to take actions that make our community and the larger world better - healthier, greener, more prosperous and equitable, better informed and educated, less vulnerable to disasters, and more civil and hospitable.
We envision a world in which everyone has discovered their power to make a difference, creating healthy communities with vibrant, participatory societies.
Our mission is to promote volunteerism, inspire, equip and mobilize people to take action that changes the world.
Our Brand Promise
We put people at the center of change and connect them to their power to make a difference.
- People drive change – People can make all of the difference
- Passion overcomes obstacles – Passion and boldness transform
- Service bridges and bonds – Working together in service to other bring people together
- Innovation drives results – Reimagining possibilities creates impact
- Servant leadership transforms – Humility and grace can change our world
Everyone everywhere has the potential to make a difference. To make their community and the larger world better – healthier, greener, more prosperous and equitable, better informed and educated, less vulnerable to disasters, and more civil and hospitable. As a result, we’ll help the people we serve make use of the full range of their assets – their time, talent, money and voice – to make real improvements in the civic health and social conditions in their communities.
With a primary objective of providing flexible volunteer opportunities for busy professionals and serving local charities in needs, HOS manages a big group of volunteers and a diverse range of community service projects in Shanghai. Our work focuses on:
- Building a volunteer platform that provides flexible volunteer opportunities
- Developing and managing volunteer projects for charities in needs
- Empowering volunteers with trainings, tools, resources and opportunities to take actions
In the past few years, thousands of HOS volunteers have served in projects benefiting elderly, children, people with special needs, migrants and other disadvantaged groups. HOS connects volunteers and builds in-depth community service projects that meet the ever-changing needs of our city.
In 2012, HOS has provided
- 88+ volunteer activities monthly
- 1,085 volunteer activities in a year
- 721+ volunteer opportunities monthly
- 10,552 volunteer opportunities offered a year
As a result, HOS achieved
- 10,600 registered volunteers
- 6,921 volunteer mobilized
- 15,408 volunteer hours contributed
- 1,579 volunteers trained
- 2,878 training hours
HandsOn Shanghai is an officially registered non-profit organization with the Shanghai Civil Affair Bureau since 2010. Governed by a board of 11 members, HOS also manages the Minhang Volunteer Center, which serves as a hub for volunteers and the local community.